We Are a Family of 4 now!

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cheese Muffins

I have been doing a bit of baking lately. I usually don't bake because it's such an exact science. Miss a few grams or add too many mLs and the outcome is so unpleasant the baked goods might as well be tipped into the bin. There is no fixing it with a dash of salt or a spoonful of sugar. Another reason I hate baking is the amount of washing up there is to do. I hate cleaning in between the beaters and I have never been fond of eating the batter. 

However with a toddler in the house who needs to have morning tea and afternoon tea snacks, I have taken up baking on Fridays anticipating that she will need the snacks for Saturday and Sunday. Weekdays are fine because she is at daycare hence her meals are not my concern ( I say that flippantly but you know what I mean)  My little girl often has fruit or some crackers as snacks but that does get boring so I have started to bake. Toddlers aren't fussed if the baked goods turns out sub par so I get off easy.

With that said, I have discovered that I'm not so bad at baking after all. My goods have turned out pretty yummy. I like utilising ingredients that I already have in my pantry and fridge. Even better if they are leftovers or bits of odds and ends that need using up. Here is a really simple cheese muffin recipe that I made just last week. It's so good, so moist (I hate dry baked goods) and best of all, there was no beater to clean! All in a bowl!

Ingredients

1 egg (beaten)
1 1/4 cup milk
2 cups self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 big pinch of paprika (omitable)
1 cup grated cheese (I used Romano but you can use any cheese)
Shredded cheddar cheese for topping.

Method

Preheat oven to 180 Celsius. Prepare muffin pan by lining with paper muffin cups or coating the holes with non stick spray. Mix beaten egg and milk together. In a big mixing bowl, mix the flour (sieved), salt, paprika salt and cheese together. Add the egg and milk mixture. Stir to combine but be careful to not over stir or the muffin will not turn out light and fluffy. Spoon mixture into the muffin cups and top with shredded cheddar cheese before putting into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes and remove once skewer comes out clean.



I was very pleased with the result. The muffins were light and fluffy, very cheese-y and most importantly not dry.


Here is a shot with a bite taken out of it. See the fluffiness?  :)  It was irresistible fresh out of the oven and still as good 2 days after that after a short 10 second blast in the microwave.

Yummo. This recipe is a keeper. 


No comments: