We Are a Family of 4 now!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Curry Puff



This is my first attempt at making curry puffs. The way I cook is simple, I do it by estimation, by instinct and by using ingredients I already have in my pantry. Basically I taste and I make. So if you have just stumbled onto this blog entry by googling 'recipe for curry puffs', hopefully you find the details I am providing below helpful.

Ingredients

Shortcrust pastry (I use super market bought frozen ones - as Jamie Oliver says, 'unless you have lots of time or own a baking/food business, you have no reason to make your own pastry'
150g chicken mince
1 large potato
1/2 diced onion
1 tbsp curry paste
Cooking oil
Salt

Method

First you peel and cut the potato into small cubes. Cook in boiling water until it is soft then drain the water. Next, sauté the onion in some oil until it smells wonderful. Add the curry paste and fry until its fragrant. Be careful not to burn the paste or the onions. If you prefer the curry puff to be on the spicier side, add more of the paste. Lastly, add the chicken mince and cook until the mixture is dry. While it is cooking down, add salt to taste. After cooling, store in the fridge overnight.

When you are ready to make the curry puffs, defrost the shortcrust pastry to room temperature and cut into circles. I used mugs for the shape of the circle. I did say I opt for the simpler method of doing things. :) If you want a bigger curry puff, use a bigger mug. Spoon the mixture of chicken mince onto one half of the circle and fold over. Press all sides down to seal. Then complete the seal with a rolling and folding motion. It is difficult to explain this action through words. Do google for a video demo on YouTube. I didn't do a google and basically did it my own way. It's not as pretty as it could be but it is acceptable.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Place the curry puffs onto an oven tray that has been sprayed with oil. Egg wash the top of the curry puff and cook for 15-20 minutes until the pastry turns brown.

I will be making this more often in the future for afternoon teas or office morning teas. It is so simple and definitely quick to do. I am always on the lookout for tasty recipes with no fuss and this has definitely made the list.


No comments: