We Are a Family of 4 now!

Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas in Penang

Christmas tree at Straits Quay

We had a lovely time in Penang. The little girl got to experience a different country, different weather and with all things considered, she did very well. We spent 3 weeks on the island and headed back to Canberra on the 27th. I got to meet up with friends, show the baby around and fill up on yummy Penang food. One can never have enough of good food and I must say I was rather reluctant to leave on the 27th!


The picture above is one of Abigail looking suspiciously at the camera. Probably wondering " What are they up to now?" We visited the newly opened Straits Quay shopping area at Tanjung Tokong. Penang is about to have way too many shopping centres. First there was Time Square, then First Avenue, now Straits Quay and later Paragon. How is each centre going to survive? Penang may be crowded, but its most certainly not enough to sustain 6 big shopping malls. I hope its not going to be a situation where the opening of one centre sees the demise of another. I think the city needs better planning. To the folks giving their approval for such projects, "Hey, think again!"

Abigail turned 5 months in December so we celebrated her 5 month birthday in Penang. I know, you are probably thinking '5 months? Thats a birthday??' Well to be honest, I needed an excuse to buy a yummy chocolate cake (if you have read about my consumption of food post delivery, you will understand) So I thought why don't we celebrate her turning 5 months and get a cake? Hahaha.... Ok moving on.

We had a so-so Christmas because Alex fell ill and managed to give it to me, Abigail and my mom. Because we were not feeling tip top shape when we boarded the plane for Canberra, the flight was not the best experience. I got no shut eye throughout the flight and Abigail did not do well during the journey. I was really glad to get back into our house on the 28th, put Abigail to sleep and got some rest myself.


In the little series of photos above, Abigail was having a very animated conversation with the auntie who was sitting across from her. We met up with some family friends for dinner and for the first time, Abigail was very captivated by a conversation a stranger was having with my mom. A stranger to Abigail that is.

We took this lovely shot at church on Christmas day.

This trip back to Penang was also so that my grandmother, Abigail's great grandmother, could see Abigail and have a cuddle with her. This is a picture at that visit. It will be something for Abigail to look back upon as needless to say, she is not going to remember taking this trip.

All in all we had an enjoyable trip. I must say I don't think we will be making another trip back to Penang anytime soon. Not until Abigail understand what it means to swallow and blow her nose (to avoid ear pain due to change in air pressure)


cheryl

No comments: