We Are a Family of 4 now!

Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Stuff That Keeps Us Going

Of late, Alex and I have been eating rather oily and unhealthy foods. I guess we got carried away with all the eating we did on our honeymoon trip and it just continued even though we have been back in Australia for 2 months now. This has resulted in us feeling really 'heaty'.

What is 'heaty'? Well, for my non Chinese readers, I shall attempt to explain 'heaty' here.

Heaty is often used to explain away these symptoms; dark yellow urine, pimples, constipation, nose bleeds, fever and feelings of irritability. If you have either one or a combination of these symptoms coupled with the fact that you know you haven't been drinking enough water or eating right lately, then we can safely say to you, " You are heaty"

This heaty explanation of ones well being is very much part of the culture of Chinese people in Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and China. The Chinese people are known to have plenty of traditional remedies to treat ailments of every kind. Often these remedies involve the use of herbs, roots and leaves.

I recently bought one such remedy from Sydney after anticipating that Alex and I would need it in our pantry. I remember having to drink this when I was younger whenever I was 'heaty'. It does work and I was happy to be able to get my hands on this.


The above are the ends of ginseng roots boiled in water and it is the water that we drink to reduce heatiness. The ends of the ginseng roots only cost a small fraction of the price of ginseng. This pot was boiled for 45 minutes before it was taken off the heat. A little salt was then added to the liquid to make the drink more palatable - it is VERY bitter. I suppose things that taste bad are usually very good for you, i.e cough syrup, cod liver oil, vegetables :)

As a child I learnt about this drink from mom and I can now make my future kids drink this too :)


cheryl

No comments: