We Are a Family of 4 now!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Malaysian Dish #2 - Fried Kangkung

Trying to find ingredients to cook authentic home cooked Malaysian fare is not easy in Canberra. Not only are the ingredients far and few, the price of the items are at least 20% more than in Sydney or Melbourne.

I got my hands on some Kangkung one day. Also known as 'Eng Chai' in Hokkien or 'Erng Choy' in Cantonese or 'Chinese Water Spinach' in English. Kangkung is the Malay name for this veg. I usually have it fried with sambal and dried prawns back in Malaysia. Sambal is a malaysian chilli made by pounding chillies with a bit of lime and belacan. I have searched high and low for a similar sambal in Australia but to no avail. And Belacan is fermented shrimp paste usually sold in a solidly packed rectangular block.


So whats an improvising cook do?

:) I used my belacan fragrant oil ( from my previously fried belacan chicken), added garlic and chilli paste, frying it till fragrant before adding my kangkung into it. Behold, I got a dish that was pretty close to the one I used to eat back in Malaysia.





Yumminy-yum-yum. In case anyone is wondering how Alex coped with the spice from the chilli, he actually did quite well! I'm slowly trying to build up his tolerance for spice. Hopefully by middle of 2009, he can take on raw cut chillies!

cheryl

1 comment:

yeohjo said...

yay! congratulations on your sambal kangkung. in english, kangkung is also known as.... convulvulus. i know, it's such an ugly name! haha. i'm actually really sleepy, but i am currently up, waiting for the video to finish rendering. what video? why... "when pin lee met macy" of course. :) i'll upload the video to youtube after saturday and send you guys a link!