We Are a Family of 4 now!

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cirque du Soleil - Dralion!

Familiar yellow blue tent tops. The big one in the background is the Grand Chapiteau.

Cirque du Soleil! Alex and I bought tickets to the show 2 months ago and after a long wait, we have finally seen it! Dralion is the theme of this years show and its a mix of traditional chinese circus traditions and the avant garde style of performance done by cirque du soleil. The show draws on influences of the east and west, hence the name Dralion. Dragon for the east and lion for the west


Concessions stalls selling Dralion souvenirs

The show was an explosion of colors, the story revolving around the quest for harmony between human kind and the 4 elements of fire, water, air and earth. It is quite unfortunate that cameras are not allowed so I only managed to take shots outside the grand chapiteau, some before the show started and a few at the end. Lighting was dim and I could not have the flash on so my shots are blurred. I did my best to steady my hands...

I loved it when performers would appear and disappear discreetly on the performance stage thanks to sliding holes on the floor. Their disappearing act was so smooth that I had to make sure I didnt blink just so I could catch a glimpse of the gap before it closed up and looked like a regular stage again. I was also very impressed by the body contortionist who twisted her body so many ways while balancing herself on one arm atop a high pole. Some other acts which got lots of claps from me was the trampolinists and the group of boys jumping through metal hoops.

At many points of the show my eyes were tired from trying to keep up with all the movement coming from all areas of the stage. I was working them hard, trying not to miss a single movement. Its not possible though. I guess in that sense sitting further away from the stage is a good thing. We got a better panoromic view.

An empty stage before the show began
The finale : Performers and crew on stage for a big round of applause

All in all we had good fun watching the show.
Rating: 6 out of 10.




cheryl

No comments: