We Are a Family of 4 now!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Proposal Part One - Her version

Alex first proposed on September 3. He was rather anxious all day because he intended to speak to my dad and have the 'Dad's stamp of approval' or better known as my dad's permission to marry me. Yes, I knew he was going to talk to my dad and yes, I knew his trip to Penang this time was to make things official. However, all the planning and talking about it prior to his arrival was just head knowledge. Why head knowledge? Well, more of this in a bit.

Alex tried to find time alone with my dad which granted was kind of difficult since I was around him most of the time and I didn't want to be around for this 'man to man' talk. So he had to try find a good time and get my dad alone. Finally at the end of the day, he managed to get my dad out for supper.

When they got back, I started asking Alex how things went. We had a good 15 minute chat or so when Alex suddenly said,
"Wait, wait.. let me just get it out."

For a minute I was stumped.

"Get what out? What are you looking for?"

"Wait, don't get up. Let me try and get it."

Suddenly realization hit me and I said " No.. no no no. No no no no no.. you are not doing this now. NO!"

I was kind of frantic then because:-

1. This was my room! (Guys, its every girls dream to be proposed to at a romantic spot, sunrise/sunset, beach/hilltop, with music/singing and etc. Again, this was my room!)
2. I was in pink polka dot pajamas! (How will this factor into my proposal story that I'm to tell my kids and grandkids in the future?)
3. Where's my music? Where's my flowers? Where are the birds singing in the trees? Where is the beautiful breeze? Where's the 'sweep me off my feet, memorable forever' moment? (Ok I admit I have high expectations but hey, which girl doesn't?)
4. I was scared.

Yes, I was scared. All our talks before that, all the discussing and planning like said was just head knowledge. At that moment it hit me that this is it. This is the big moment. The yes or no answer that will change lives. Both ours and our direct families. In that space of time, so many thoughts raced through my head, part elation and part soberity. Granted, this was not yet the wedding day with the 'I do' but its almost the same thing.

Alex being Alex, even though I had obviously voiced my disapproval with the time and place chosen, still went on with the full proposal. I was really touched by everything he said but hey, it did seem a little convenient that he proposed right after we were discussing how his talk with my dad went.

So I said, " Let me think about it."

:) I know, I know.. this is every guys nightmare response. But really, I thought that more effort could have been put into the proposal and I wanted something special. I wanted a surprise.

No comments: