We Are a Family of 4 now!

Friday, November 20, 2009

Penang Food Adventures - Old House Cafe

While passing Kimberley Street on my last trip back in Penang in July, I spotted this newly renovated place called the Old House Cafe. The owners of this place bought 5 units of pre war shop houses and restored the structure to its former glory before adding a touch of the antique with the use of heavy wooden doors with metal trimmings, old style tea tables, seats, benches and artwork.

Curiosity got better of me so I talked my parents into having lunch at this new establishment. The prices are a bit on the steep side for regular coffee shop fare but I suppose you are paying the difference for cleanliness, cool comfort and a nice ambience. This would be the place to take customers or visiting friends/relatives for a simple lunch or dinner.
The exterior of the cafe. It is very hard to miss as it is the only stretch of green in a line of pre war buildings.


I get the feeling that no expense was spared when the owner poured funds into this place.


We ordered 3 of their most well known dishes. The first being 'Har Mee' - A slightly spicy prawn based soup noodle served with a big prawn, a pork spare rib garnished with fried onion. The soup had a lovely flavour to it. I have never been a big fan of Har Mee so I refrain from making much comment about this.


Another of their famed dish is the Braised Meat Rice. It is pork, chicken and hard boiled egg slowly cooked in simmering soy sauce with the chinese five spice powder before being chopped and served with rice. This dish to my opinion is the most value for money one can get in this cafe. If I return, I will order this again for myself.


This dish here is ho..ho... the 'Tu Kar Chor' also known as Pig Trotters cooked in Black Vinegar. If done well this dish is divine. It is often known as the dish that ladies in confinement crave for.


The version served in this cafe is not too bad though I wish it had more fat meat in it rather than being purely lean meat. However it is quite good value for money as you can see the from big chunks of meat in the picture above. Satisfying but not jaw dropping.

I might return for another visit to this cafe on my next trip but it won't be on the 'must do' section of my list of things to eat.

Location: 145-153 Kimberley Street.

Opening hours: 12-3pm, 6-10.30pm. Closed Tuesday

cheryl

No comments: