We Are a Family of 4 now!

Friday, July 3, 2009

Adelaide - Part 1

Dinner with Deborah - Rundle Street Mall - Central Market

A week ago today (Friday 26th June) we were in Adelaide having yet another relaxing holiday away from Canberra. If you have been frequently visiting this blog, it would seem like we often go away on holidays... :) Before you think money grows on trees in our garden, not that we have one but figuratively speaking... I must say that it doesn't and we afford these trips because of the fantastic deals we manage to secure for our flights which make the trip worth making. We often travel on free flights, 1 dollar flights - with all tax included or very cheap flights. I can't shed any light on these flights because navigating flights is not my forte but Alex's hence only he can divulge the secrets. A separate entry on this later maybe?

This time our short weekend away was to Adelaide and it was a good time for the two of us. Adelaide is very different from other Australian cities. I have only recently been told that while Australia was a land of convicts in the past, Adelaide was the only city where no convict was allowed to reside. Entry was only for the upper echelons of society. Hence the beautiful buildings and classy heritage of this small city.

Pictures...

The green green grass of Adelaide - I took this shot because most of the time Canberra is brown. Green is my favourite color.

Our hotel room at the Stamford Plaza

The Stamford Plaza is a great place to stay in Adelaide. It is located at North Terrace which is a main road where heritage buildings line the street and it is a short walk away from Rundle Street Mall, the Botanical Gardens, the Adelaide Zoo and Central Market. Stamford Plaza is a 5 star hotel and if you would like to go cheaper, there is the Mercure Grosvenor further down the street which is a 4 star joint.

We met up with Deborah for dinner. She is an old friend from Penang who was also my very able 'last minute' videographer at our wedding-hopefully she can forgive us soon for putting her in that position without prior warning :p This dinner too was very last minute. Haha... I wonder why everything I plan with Deborah in it is always last minute?

Deborah and I

Hubby and I

Following morning we walked to Rundle Street Mall. This is like the Queen Street Mall in Brisbane and the Pitt Street Mall in Sydney.

Rundle Street Mall

Metallic ball sculpture in the middle of the street mall.

We then walked to the Central Market. I love love love the Central Market. It could have been the atmosphere, the people or the variety of goods sold at the market but it really made its mark on me and I will definitely return to this place on my next visit. If you plan on visiting Adelaide anytime soon, I suggest having your breakfast there. There are plenty of breakfast stalls that serve great looking food for brekkie within the building. Do go early to avoid the crowds though.


One of the breakfast stalls. Very casual setting yet very enticing.

Some of the stalls had interesting names. The names are outrightly direct about the goods they sell yet it was appealing and it captured my attention. I would so buy goods from these shops just based solely on their name. Would you? Here are some shots of them.

DOUGH - selling bread

THE SMELLY CHEESE - selling cheese of course

OLD LOLLY SHOP - selling lollies

The Central Market only sells food. The place had a great vibe and it showed a fantastic display of fresh South Australian produce. Made me wish I stayed in Adelaide. Great ingredients to work with to broaden my culinary prowess. Haha.. spoken like a true food afficionado. Oh greedy me..

A shot from above to try and capture what I saw

Fresh fruit and vegetables

Huge array of cheese - blue, brie, cheddar, truffle infused...etc

More of CHEESE

A shot of lovely baked treats

More to come in Adelaide Part 2. I didnt want to inundate you with too many pictures in one hit :)

cheryl

1 comment:

The Girl said...

Ooh... the smelly cheese reminds me of the smelly cat.