We Are a Family of 4 now!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Hall Market

These are some pictures from Sunday. We were at the Hall markets which is located at the outskirts of Canberra. It was my first time there and I was hoping to be able to pick up something nice or find something that would pique my interest. Items I were looking for:

1. Quaint kitchen wall clock
2. Metal wall sculpture -frame like - to hang on my balcony wall
3. Woollen socks
4. Decorative items for the house

Markets here usually sell handmade items - wood carvings, furniture, metal sculptures, trinkets, ornaments, accessories, gifts.. etc. As such one can sometimes make a fantastic find especially if you have an interest in such things. Unfortunately nothing really caught my fancy on Sunday.

Though I came home empty handed, I do have some pictures.


People strolling around the makeshift tents


There was a man (pictured below) selling a very good idea of a chicken coup. There seems to be a bucking trend of people rearing chickens in their backyard in Canberra. This man was selling his idea of a mobile chicken coup which can be extended in case you think your chooks need more exercise. The fact that it is mobile, decreases the possibility of your backyard stinking of chicken poo (moving the coup around means less concentration of poo in one spot) and you run less risk of receiving hate mail in your inbox from your neighbours. There are many other selling points to his idea but he mainly caught my attention because he brought a life prop with him.



A very tame chicken sitting atop his shoulder... the children loved it too because they got to pet her. I gave it a go and really, chicken feathers are really soft! Soft and warm!



Thats the chicken sitting atop his coup design. I do think his idea was very functional. I would have considered it if I was in my 60's with an empty backyard and a major love for eggs. :) I must say though, if you had reared the chook for some time and it was time for it to go from pet to roast, would you be able to find it in your heart to slaughter them?

I digress. :) Back to Sunday.

It was a rather hot day and after walking under the burning hot sun for an hour, I rather welcomed the thought of a cold refreshment. We spotted a very long queue of people, lining up in front of a very run down, pink colored, ice cream truck. It was selling home made milkshakes, thickshakes, sorbets and ice creams. The sign next to the truck had several unfamiliar flavours listed so I decided to give it a try. I ordered a double scoop ice cream on a waffle cone. My flavours were chocolate plus ginger and fig. Being homemade ice cream, it wasn't as sweet as the ones you would normally buy from the shops. The ginger and fig was alright. I wouldn't say that I would get it again.

The run down pink truck

The many flavours : goats milk, soya milk, rose petal, mandarin & mint...etc


My double scoop, chocolate on top, ginger and fig below.

It was a nice way to spend Sunday afternoon. The weather is warming up and while its great for outings, its starting to get a little too warm to sleep in bed at night without a fan or air conditioning going.

cheryl

No comments: