We Are a Family of 4 now!

Thursday, October 30, 2008

This Week at the Hospital

A worrying moment - Processed some specimens this week from the sexual health center at the hospital. These requests only have the age and gender of the person on the request form to protect the privacy of the individual. It is worrying when you see requests for an 8 year old and 16 year old to be tested for STDs. Both female. Also worrying is seeing a test for HIV on a 25 year old.

A scary moment - I was walking into one of the wards carrying some bottles from haematology when a loud alarm went off and red warning lights started flashing from the ceiling. Before I could move, the sound of thundering feet from all directions came towards me. Doctors, nurses, wardsmen - every hospital employee in that ward was running towards where I was standing. A man in the room I was about to enter had just crashed and everyone was running in to save his life. Turns out the items I had with me were meant for him. Nothing was more real to me at that moment as I acknowledged the frailty of life and how close I was to seeing a man die.

A painful moment - Walking home on Wednesday, I was brought out of my reverie upon hearing low moans and howls. The sounds I heard resounded with grief and loss. I looked for the source of the cry and saw a grown man crying with so much pain onto the shoulder of a supportive friend. In that moment I felt his pain and his loss, bringing tears to my own eyes.

If you want to know how morals are really measuring up in our society, work at a hospital.
If you want to see true human nature stripped of all pretence, work at a hospital.
If you need to be reminded of how everyday is a gift, work at a hospital.

cheryl

No comments: