We Are a Family of 4 now!

Monday, September 22, 2008

Not your regular Monday

There was an incident at work today. A little drama to get us through the Monday blues at work can't hurt right? :) It was work as usual until a sensitive nose in the office picked up an offending scent. Soon, everyone was wrinkling their noses and making comments as they caught the scent. Something in the room was producing a burnt smell.

Some with more pronounced nasal capabilities said it was an electrical burn smell versus the regular wood burn smell. I for one, do not have the best nose. I have a good tongue (hence my appreciation for food) but sadly, those sensors are not matched in my nose (hence my lack of knowledge in all things perfumey)

After 15 minutes, the smell still lingered in the air. Since I'm still somewhat a newbie, I was wondering and waiting for when someone was gonna say the EVACUATE word. I had recently attended an EMERGENCY course which is a compulsory course for everyone at work and had learnt that there is a fire warden in every office. However, I had no idea who the fire warden was in my office. So work for me progressed as usual while I waited and watched.

The wait wasn't long. Soon someone said, " EVERYONE EVACUATE! " There weren't any bells, no whistles, no sound of an incoming fire engine. I kinda expected the loud, deafening clanging of a fire bell ala Malaysia but there was just the sound of shuffling feet and everyone rejoicing because of this imposed tea break.

The firemen came 5 minutes later in their full gear. After performing the necessary checks, the culprit was identified to be a faulty centrifuge machine which had earlier on in the day made odd noises. So the theory of an electrical burn was right.

Oh and what of the fire warden? I still don't know who it is but apparently when the smell was first detected, the fire warden was approached about the situation and asked to give advice about what to do. The answer provided?

" I'm too busy..."

Hehe....
An interesting day today was. - Yoda


cheryl

No comments: